Friday 26 October 2012

Gluten free halloween cupcakes! :)

Hi Ladies,

With halloween just round the corner, I decided to bake some spooky cupcakes for my friends and family. I decided to go for chocolate orange cupcakes, I like to experiment with my baking and try out my own flavour combinations so I basically adapted my basic gluten free cupcake recipe by adding the juice of one large orange and 100g of milk chocolate (to a mix for 12 cupcakes). The weren't quite as orangey as I would have liked and next time I will probably look at either using orange essence or a bit more juice, but they got lots of compliments and tasted delicious!



I piped the orange buttercream onto the buns with my piping bag which is from lakeland, and for the green buttercream I used a super easy technique which my friend taught me which is great if you don't have a piping back or are in a rush. You basically pop a spoonful of buttercream onto your cupcake and spread it into a cone like shape, then use a fork to mark the lines into the buttercream and swirl the fork up the cone creating a flick at the top. I will definitely be recreating this for some Christmas tree style cupcakes in december I think they will look fab!

I bought some spooky haribo jelly sweets for decorating, used some blue sherbet to decorate the green cupcakes et voila!

These were quickly eaten up by family and friends and no one seemed to be able to tell that they were gluten free :) For any other gluten free bakers out there, my top tip would be to make your mixture a little bit runnier. Gluten free flour seems to need a bit more liquid, and I always put 3-4 tablespoons of milk into my mixture which seems to work a treat. My favourite gluten free flour to use is doves farm self raising :)

Are you doing anything for halloween?

have a lovely weekend,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your lovely comments! :-) xxx